Fifteen Water Pollution Facts You Should Know About
To Receive a PDF of this Page/Article...Enter your Email Address
Importance of Water by Mother Earth
We have all probably learned in our science classes during high school that mother earth is made up of 70% water, and just by saying that, it means that we are surrounded by bodies of water larger than we could ever imagine. Water is one of nature’s greatest gift to the human race. Water has been a tool for our survival. Not just a tool but rather a necessity and a need for us to survive. Humans can survive for 3 weeks without water (note that this 3 weeks won’t be easy), while only 3 days without water. Not only is mother earth made up of majority water, our bodies have a water percentage of 50-60% water too. Now, do you see how important water is to the human race? But what do we do about it? Nothing! There’s always water pollution. Here we give you 10 water pollution facts you should know about.
What is water pollution?
Before we start with these water pollution facts, we should educate ourselves with what water pollution really is. According to Wikipedia, “Water pollution is the contamination of water bodies (e.g. lakes, rivers, oceans, aquifers and groundwater). Water pollution occurs when pollutants are directly or indirectly discharged into water bodies without adequate treatment to remove harmful compounds. Water pollution affects plants and organisms living in these bodies of water. In almost all cases the effect is damaging not only to individual species and populations but also to the natural biological communities.”
1. Freshwater in the world is only 2.5% of the total water available on this planet.
2. 14 Billion pounds of garbage mostly plastic is dumped into the ocean every year.
3. 15 million children under the age of five die each year because of diseases caused by drinking water.
4. 80% of the water pollution is caused due to domestic sewage like throwing garbage on the open ground and water bodies.
5. Plastic waste, being a major water pollutant, is causing a huge destruction of marine life and is believed to be responsible for deaths of more than 100,000 sea mammals, seabirds and various types of fishes.
6. According to WHO (World Health Organization) and United Nations Children Fund (UNICEF), around 2.5 billion people do not have access to improved sanitation.
7. According to UNICEF, more than 3000 children die every day globally due to consumption of contaminated drinking water.
8. On an average 250 million people worldwide succumb to diseases related to water pollution.
9. Aquatic animals have faced an estimated extinction rate five times more than that of terrestrial animals.
10. About 700 million people worldwide drink contaminated water.
11. Two million tons of human waste is disposed of every day.
12. Over 30 billion tons of urban sewage discharged into lakes, rivers and oceans each year.
13. Every day, 2 million tons of sewage and industrial and agricultural waste are discharged into the world’s water (UN WWAP 2003), the equivalent of the weight of the entire human population of 6.8 billion people.
14. Asia has maximum numbers of polluted rivers than anywhere else in the world. Most of it contains bacteria created from human waste.
15. Each year 1.2 trillion gallons of untreated sewage, storm water, and industrial waste are dumped into U.S. waters.
Saving Our Planet
Water pollution is no joke. It affects our survival and it affects our everyday life. We might not see it now, but gradually, water is becoming even more polluted by the minute. It might not affect you now, but it affects so many people around the world. We as consumers must know how to take care of the bodies of waters that we aren’t able to survive without. Now that we know 15 water pollution facts, they are enough to awaken us. We must learn how to stop or at least minimize contamination and wastage. That is why we need to take a stand. Make efforts. Start small. Each one can make a difference.
Puritii Water Filter
Save water from any source!
Ariix has developed a product that will help conserve water, and at the same time help mother earth.
Because even tap water has bacteria that are bad for you. Puritii Water Filter will help you ensure the cleanliness of the water you are drinking by 99.99%.
For more information about this product, please click the link below.
To Maintaining Good Health,
The ARIIX Products Team
Please, Like & Share…Thanks!
ARIIX provides unique high-quality products meeting consumer demands in the health and wellness industry for complete & balanced nutrition, weight loss management, water & air filtration, personal care products, essential oils, and anti-aging skincare.
The ARIIX Products are…GLUTEN FREE, NO SOY, NO DAIRY, NO GMO, NO ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS, NO ARTIFICIAL COLORS, NO ARTIFICIAL SWEETENERS, NO SUGARS, NO BINDERS, & USE NO FILLERS!